Qualicum Beach was settled by the Europeans in the late 1800s. The first land title was granted to Thomas Kinkade in 1882.
Commercial growth occurred in a town-site near the railway rather than along the road, thus avoiding strip development and creating the attractive town we have today.
Growth was slow in the early years as land was cleared by logging and the creation of a subdivision by the Newcastle Land Company. The Village was formally incorporated in 1942.
From its inception Qualicum Beach has had a strong sense of community led by active community groups and service clubs. Through their efforts we have first class amenities like the Civic Centre.
The Old School House [TOSH] is another example of the Community Spirit we have. This building was completely renovated and restored by volunteers.
This Station was built in 1913 and leased to the Town in 1988. It has been completely restored by a group of dedicated volunteers associated with the Museum. The Station now provides office space for community groups, a home for Weavers and Spinners and storage for the Town in the freight shed.
The Qualicum Beach Historical and Museum Society was formed in 1982 by Elizabeth Little and several friends. The Museum was given a home in the small power generating station shown here on the left.
After restoring the Power House as a Heritage building the society volunteers built the larger building shown on the right. They built this building using materials salvaged from a BC Hydro building that had been demolished in Port Alberni. The entire project was done by volunteers.
To learn more about Qualicum’s historical buildings, please view the Canadian Federal/Provincial/Territorial governments’ National Historic Register here: National Historic Register